Saturday, March 29, 2014

The Wonderful World That Is Relay

Hey everyone!
     Sorry I haven't posted since the archaic times, but school has been kicking my butt; actually just chemistry is. It's incredibly interesting, but it's really hard, or maybe it's the professor trying to teach it. Pray that I actually pass this class!

     Anywhoozer, last morning to this morning (or Friday 10am-Saturday 10am), my campus had our biggest event of the year, as it's better known as, relay for Life. This event is so incredible beyond measure. Let me try and put this into words for you. This event is all about Cancer Awareness and raising money for Cancer. There are always tens of orgs that participate, including my own Nutrition org that I created this year! I was so proud to be able to participate and make a difference with the org that is just fresh off the block. This is a huge deal on our campus, and especially in the Greek Life here. Every year, it's basically a giant competition to see who can raise the most money, single-handily and as an organization as a whole. This makes me so happy, because we're all coming together for an important cause and nurturing healthy competition while doing it. This year, we had a couple people raise over a $1,000 by themselves, including Anneke Hoogenstryd (right) from Tri Sigma Sorority and Amir Baz (left) from Theta Chi Fraternity! Now, that is just too amazing for words right now - what a breath-taking feat! besides those special people, we had more than a few organizations raise in the thousands themselves. The Phi Sigma Sigma sorority are most known for their combined efforts, in my opinion. One of their members, Dani Champlin, has been passionate about this event ever since I came to the university. And of their other sisters, Erin Bovan, is also part of the awesome team that puts together Relay. That committee works effortlessly and passionately to make this event a success, whilst putting countless hours of their time into it. Every year is a major success, especially for our campus being small and it being a commuter school, as well. Without these ladies, and the other committee members, Relay would not be the same.

     Relay is the funnest 24 hours you will ever experience. From having mini-games every hour, on the hour to games people start playing themselves; basketball, lightning, soccer, frisbee, volleyball, and this year we also had BOUNCE HOUSES! Like, whaaattttt. You could play basketball in one, try and bungee to the end of another, or just chill in the traditional bounce house if you'd like. They were all fun to play with. Plus, we also yoga with our favorite yogi, the amazing and wonderful, Sharnee Mead. Now, in other related news, my fraternity, Kappa Sigma, and Theta Chi Fraternity usually have a head-shave fundraiser every year; and we also usually do it separately. However, this year, we combined the event and did it together. It made me smile a bit because I love Greek Unity at any level... and that a lot of them have close to no hair left; which surprisingly isn't too shabby on them. All of the above statements are great and all, but my absolute favorite aspect of Relay is the bonding that everyone experiences during this event. It brings everyone together for a common cause; especially my lovely Greeks. It's the happiest day for me when all of our Greek orgs mix it up and hang out together, where it doesn't matter what affiliation you're from, we're all just having a good time together. That's what drives my happiness - when all of my friends come together, and are happy together. This is why I love being a socialite, because you get to laugh with everyone from different organizations, backgrounds, different senses of humor, and different conversations. Because think about it, you're bringing people into your life as nothing different than a friend - everyone is the same to you, you don't treat anyone different, does that make sense? And when people hang out together, it takes that concept and makes it real life. On the opposite of that, it's when people stick to their own affiliations, and separates themselves from the other organizations. I don't want to really confuse you, but it's hard to explain in writing.

Segway - I really hate when I'm thinking of something or of a concept in my head, but it's more than impossible to explain in words. It makes me feel stupid and like, people can't follow me. -_-/=[

Continuing on, Relay is just a lively experience that you have take on yourself. It makes you feel so accomplished and proud, when you stay up for the whole 24 hours and when you reach your goal for fundraising, like Anneke or Amir did. It's definitely something you have to prepare yourself for. I woke up today with accumulated soreness that I haven't experienced since the last Relay; so much so, that i have barely got out of bed all day (not that I could anyways! =P). That my friends, is a sign of success. Another favorite part of mine, are the tens of picture that you take during the event, and that you see on Facebook the next morning. I love to do that myself, because after all, like I always say, each picture is a memory frozen in time.

P.S. - I will try to be more punctual on my postings from now on! Until the next post, my friends.

Sincerely,
A Dreaming Dietitian

No comments:

Post a Comment