One of my classes is an online Health Care Ethics class, and every week, we have articles to read, 3 blackboard posts to do, and a quiz to complete (Thank goodness for that CTRL + F function...). This week's topic was "Elective Procedures", and the question was if you agreed on an author's position that there is no such thing as a lifestyle drug, there is only a lifestyle and use of drugs. This was an extremely easy question for me, because it kind of hit me personally at the same time. Throughout my whole life, I've never taken (or had to) a prescription or some kind of drug, rather it be "for fun" or for actual medical reasons. Granted, I don't put it against someone that actually has a reason to, it's all the same to me. However, I do not believe that there is a lifestyle drug, but really a lifestyle that uses drugs.
Many people feel that they have a need for drug use, most of the time, this is with hard drugs that everyone knows about and is common, i.e. - Weed, Cocaine, Acid, etc. When I was going through middle school and high school, this is when I noticed them. I had childhood best friends that I separated from because they used these types of substances, and I would never, in the least bit, condone the use of them. I have a strong stand against them, and I'm very critical of people that use them. Between the severe negative affects they have on the body, the personality, and the lifestyle, there is nothing that comes out of them that is worth making life changing decisions for. I've always been kind of the "straight-edge" kind of person (against drugs, drinking, and the like), I changed my views on drinking a little after I came back from Italy; especially the wine. I don't know, maybe it's my passion for Nutrition & well-being that cements my stubborn stand, but I don't see why people do this for that "high" they get; wasting money; time and energy; and overall, their life and reputation. I mean think about the amount of money some people pay for the littlest amount of a drug, $100, $200, maybe more? I'm no drug connoisseur, but I know they can get expensive exponentially. Besides my stand on it, my frugailty would never allow myself to waste money so hastily. (I'm aware frugailty is not a word, but it is now damn it). I barely want to buy things off the Dollar Menu, never mind blowing an entire check.. literally.
Don't get me wrong, the media and medical world, doesn't exactly help with this lifestyle drug debate. The media wants views and popularity, and professions in the medical world want that moo-lah, that keeps their affluent lifestyle thriving. Given, not all doctors are bad, but lets face it, we should all be aware that there are many that want that big paycheck for a patient they might see for 10 minutes, after thus person has stood in line for an hour or more. However, that rant is for another day.
people have to realize why people take prescriptions, what they're actually used for, and the future complications & consequences that can resolve from the use of them. I cannot stress how important personal knowledge is, especially when it comes to the medical world and nutrition world. There are so many vitamins on the market, and weight loss supplements, and things that are sporting the "healthy" label. A lot of things have bad ingredients or are items you shouldn't just take at face value. We have to read the fine print too! That's where all the
A Dreaming Dietitian
No comments:
Post a Comment