Friday, December 20, 2013

Carving At The Slopes

     One of my favorite things in this whole wide world, is to go Snowboarding. I absolutely love to carve into the mountainside; it's such a rush. Honestly, you just feel so cool on a snowboard. Granted, I've only went a couple times in my life now; one of those times was 5 years ago (WOW, time went fast!), and yesterday now. Needless to say I don't have the latest and greatest gear, but I do love to go. I just don't want to be fully committed if I can't go as if I am fully committed, if that makes sense. I want to put use on the gear that I buy. When I first bought my stuff, I just got stuff to go, not any name brand stuff.
     So, my friend Stephanie Bruma hits me up to go hit the slopes; and keep in mind that I just got done with my last final that same day, and I haven't went since that first time my Sophomore year of high school - ,', It has been more than overdue & I was craving to carve. I begin the process of layering up, because I absolutely hate the cold (ironic I know), which consisted of Underarmor, a warm sweater, a Michigan Columbia, and my winter coat up top. Then mesh shorts, jeans, and Michigan Sweatpants on bottom. Unfortunately, you've probably deducted that I don't own Snowboarding pants or coat - if anyone wants to start a charity fund for the cause, please do. Now, given, I've only been a couple times, so I was anxious to go again, but I knew it was going to be a major learning curve. 
     First my bindings wouldn't bind in for the life of me. Like, literally, I had to sit down and push with all of my might for the bindings to snap in; all the while, I'm wearing multiple layers of different material, so I'm getting exponentially warm and frustrated. Finally, alas, I succeeded in my mission, and we proceeded. We warm-up by going down the mini-mini-bunny hill, then we slowly graduated to the actual bunny-hill. It felt awesome to board again, and to go down the mountain. My experience level is still beginner; as I fell multiple times (frontwards and backwards); going up the rope that pulls you, only to have my calf run into a metal pole sticking out - only me and my luck.; and having to relearn the balance and turning. I might have had difficulties and even a learning curve, but I never regret going. it was really a lot of fun, and Stephanie is a good time too. 
     Aftermath - Before we left, the muscles in my legs were exhausted & shaking, my shoulders were sore from getting back up so many times, my knees hurt from army crawling to the rope, and my butt was wet from sitting on the snow. Today (the day after), The left calf is still sore, I can still feel it in my thighs a little, but not too much - all in all, not bad though. I feel like the first time readied me for this time, even though it was so long ago; I knew what to expect.
     After everything, I was glad I went boarding again, and we even met one of my fraternity brothers there (Brandon), and some random people that were good to talk to. We'll be going again soon, I can't wait!

Needless to say, I got my exercise in and it might have even tested my mental endurance, but you best believe - I shall be back!!

Sincerely,
A Dreaming Dietitian

P.S. - The pictures are from my first time going my Sophomore year of high school; not much has changed besides my layering outfit! =D

No comments:

Post a Comment